Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Sew-Along #20 - Sleepover Pajamas - Lesson #1

The Sleepover Pajamas by Oliver+S

Welcome to the Sleepover Pajama sew-along.  If you have any questions, suggestions, or tips to share; please make sure to post them on our Facebook group.  Also, if you would like to see any of the images larger that are posted in this blog, just click on them.  It might be helpful in some steps. 

Hi y'all!  I'm Kara and I blog over at Sweeter Than it Seams.  I hope you are ready to start sewing with me!  This pattern is a bit of a challenge but if you stick with me, you will have an awesome set of PJ's for your little one.

There is some prep work we need to do before we can start sewing:
1. I have one really important rule while sewing.  Perfect is boring.  I like some character in my garments so I am not a perfectionist when it comes to sewing.  I am sure some of you would think my seams are horrendous!

2. Wash - Always wash and iron your fabric before you sew.  I know some people think this step is a waste of time but before you sew is the best time for fabric to shrink.

3. Print the pattern. The pattern pieces are located on pages 15-51 for size 6m-4 and pages 15-67 for size 5-12.
Note: For further instructions on how to print off your pattern properly you may check out the sew-along lesson posted here.

4. Tape the pattern together.  Nothing fancy here.  I always cut the bottom and right edges off to line all of my patterns up.
 Note: For a detailed writeup of how to piece Oliver+S patterns together you can check out our blog post here.
5. If you are making multiple sizes, trace the pattern on freezer paper.  Place the paper shiny side down with the pattern on the bottom.  Trace away and be sure to transfer all markings. 
Note: Again, if you would like further instructions on this step you may check out the sew-along lesson located here.
6. Place the pattern pieces onto the fabric and cut the fabric.  Warning - be careful here!  I was a little too relaxed while cutting and ended up messing up on the facing.  The facing piece will be on the outside of the garment so be sure to use the contrasting fabric for these pieces.  I accidentally cut the facings in the wrong fabric and didn't even realize I had made a mistake until it was time to sew it on to the pajama top.
Note: The Cutting Layouts are located on page 14 for both of the patterns.
7. Cut the fabric.  You will end up with a pile similar to what you see below.  

Let me know if you have any questions, I'm here for you!

* If you would like to enter the prize drawing, please make sure you submit a picture of your completed lesson one to the Facebook Album by 12:00 noon CT, Friday, December 12th.  Also, if you have any questions the Facebook Group is a great place to ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment

#navbar-iframe{ display:none !important;}