Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Sew-Along #1 – Macy Giggles Dress - Preparations

Macy Giggles Skinny Hem Dress

Before we begin the sew-along on March 5th, you will want to gather some items and do a few things to prepare. 

Items to Collect
  1. If you have not purchased the pattern yet, please do so ASAP.  You may purchase it from our shoppe by clicking here.
  2. If you do not have fabric for the project you will want to purchase that ASAP also.  At the time of this writing we do have a few fabric kits for this project left.  Click here to see the project kits We also have lots of fun fabric selections on our website.  On the pattern link listed above you are able to click on the picture of the back of the pattern to enlarge it so you can view how much fabric you need for the project.  We are making the View A dress in the sew-along, but you could just as easily make the View B if you choose.
  3. If you did not purchase a project kit from us you will need to purchase a covered button kit.  Our project kits do have the covered button kits included.  This pattern called for 1” covered buttons, but we will be using 7/8” covered buttons in the sew-along.  You can purchase these covered buttons at almost any store that sells fabric supplies.
  4. You will also need coordinating thread to complete this project.  The project kits did not come with thread, so please make sure you have some.
  5. You will want some sort of fabric marking instrument.  You can use chalk, a marking pencil, washable fabric pen; even a bar of soap will work. 

Optional Items to Collect - The following items are totally optional.  These are items I use because I feel they make sewing easier for me.  You will see me using them in the sew-along, but by no means do you need these items to complete the project.

  1. Freezer paper to trace the pattern and cut out your fabric pieces.  You can find this at most grocery stores with the wax paper and aluminum foil.
  2. Upholstery thread or some kind of strong thread for pulling your gathers.  This may be found at most sewing supply stores.
  3. Needles for the strong thread if it won’t work with your standard sewing needles.
  4. Ric-rac, ribbon, or trim for decorating the dress.  I probably won’t be using any myself, though I may change my mind.  A girl can always change her mind, right?

Things to Do
  1. Make sure to prewash and preshrink all of your fabrics.  I always wash my quilting cottons in hot (or just warm if the colors are very deep and I fear color fade) and then I dry my fabric in the dryer with no softeners.  I always preshrink this way when I am using fabric for clothing construction.  I would hate to work hard on something only to have it shrink and not fit when I was done.
  2. Press your fabrics well.  I try to do this straight out of the dryer so that the wrinkles come out easier.  Fold up your fabric and set it in a place where you can look at it and get all excited about the adorable little dress you are about to make some special little girl!
Happy Sewing,
Danielle Storm
www.whimsicalfabric.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

#navbar-iframe{ display:none !important;}