Thursday, October 30, 2014

Sew-Along #18 - Penelope Dress / Top Pattern for Women - Lesson #3

The Penelope by Modkid

If you have any questions, suggestions, or tips to share; please make sure to post them on our Facebook group.  Also, if you would like to see any of the images posted in this blog larger, just click on them.  It might be helpful in some steps.   

Hello and welcome to day three of the sew along!  Today I am going to go over how to make the infinity scarf that I showed with my Penelope. It is really simple and quick; you'll want to make these over and over!

I am slowing getting into wearing scarves and I really like the ones that are already in a loop for you so they don't get lopsided during the day.  They are really quick and easy to  make and can take a summer top to fall and winter in a matter of seconds.  Plus, when your entire wardrobe is made up of mostly yoga pants, a scarf is a good way to distinguish between any old day and a special occasion ;)

So here is what I did.  I cut a strip of fabric the entire width of the fabric and 18" long.  I folded that in half, longways & right sides together, and sewed the long edge (leave the two short edges open).  

You will basically have a long tube.  Then I turned the tube right sides out and pressed it.  

Then I matched the cut edges (short edges) at the seam allowance. You could add a twist to the tube before matching the edges, but I did not do that since I was planning to wear it looped anyway.  

Another view of this step.

Then I used the sewing machine to sew the raw edges together as far as I could get.  You should be able to sew all but about 2-3 inches together by sewing and readjusting the fabric as you go around.  

Once I sewed around as far as I could with the sewing machine, I ironed my seam and then topstitched the open part closed.  You could also whip stitch the hole closed by hand.  And then you have a scarf to wear with you Penelope or anything else! 

I like to loop mine so it is double layered.  Kind of like a faux-cowl.  But have fun with it and wear it how it suits you!  

Thanks so much for joining me on this sew along!  I hope you love everything you made and enjoy wearing it for a long time.

* If you would like to enter the prize drawing, please make sure you submit a picture of your completed lesson three to the Facebook Album by 12:00 noon CT, Monday, November 3rd.  Also, if you have any questions the Facebook Group is a great place to ask.

Until next time!
Sarah 

No comments:

Post a Comment

#navbar-iframe{ display:none !important;}