Thursday, October 2, 2014

Sew-Along #17 - Children's Pants Pattern No.2 - Lesson #4

The Children's Pants Pattern No.2 by E+M Patterns

Welcome to day two of the Children's Pants Pattern No.2 sew-along.  I want to remind everyone that I am not a "professional" seamstress, nor was I formally taught.  I'm just a girl who loves fabric, sewing, and pretty much everything related to those two things.  If you have any questions, suggestions, or tips to share; please make sure to post them on our Facebook group.

Please read the Children's Pants Pattern No.2 Tutorial all the way through before you begin.  It's probably a good idea to read through this lesson once before you begin also.

If you would like to see any of the images posted in this blog larger, just click on them.  It might be helpful in some steps. Ready?  Let's go!

A. Attaching the Back Pockets

1. Lay out the back of your pants right side up. 

2.  Place your back pockets according to the instructions listed in the tutorial.  Double and triple check to make sure they are exactly where you want them and that they are symmetrical.

3. Pin each of the four corners of each pocket.

4. Top stitch the pockets onto the back of your pants.  I actually start my stitching 1 stitch off of the top edge of the pocket so when I back stitch to secure my threads I back stitch over the pocket edge.  This just helps to secure the pocket.  I also use two rows of stitching like shown in the tutorial.  Normally I would lengthen my stitches for top stitching, but I don't for the pockets since this is the only stitching holding the pockets on.  I want my stitches shorter to make sure they are really secure.

5. You next want to add bar tacks to the top of your pockets.  This will help secure the pockets even more.  Use a marking pen to chalk if you wish to mark ¼" down on the corner of each pocket.

6. Now, using a tight zig-zag, add bar tacks right on top of your top stitching.  Note that you might want to practice on a piece of scrap fabric first to get your stitches just like you want them.


B. Attach the Front and Back Legs Together

1. With WRONG sides together, pin the front legs to the back legs at the inseam.  I line up the crotch seam and work my way down each leg. 


2. Stitch the inseam using a ¼" seam allowance.  Use a ¼" seam allowance, NOT a ½".  Yup, I repeated myself.  Trim the seam in half.

3. Press the seam to one side.  I normally press it towards the back.  If using corduroy, be careful to only lightly press it.

4. Flip your pant legs so they are right sides together.  Now iron the seam very well.  

5. Using a ¼" seam allowance again, stitch the seam, this time from the inside of the pants.  Then, press the seam well towards one side.  I normally press the seam towards the back of the pants.

6.  We are now going to secure this seam.  I first stitch from the wrong side, stitching right on the edge of the seam, securing it down.  I also lengthen my stitches for this to 3.5.  Note the recommendation in the tutorial regarding stitching over the crotch seam.  My machine has no problems, but some do.  Be careful.  We don't want any broken needle pieces flying at you.

7. I then flip the pants over and stitch a second row right next to the original seam.

8.  Next, pin the outseams together.  Be careful that your pockets are flat and everything is lined up.

9.  Stitch using a ¼" seam allowance.  Trim the seams in half.

10.  Press each outseam towards the back.  Then turn your pants inside out and repress well.  I use a chopstick to make sure my seam is full pressed out and not turned in on itself at all.

11. Stitch the two outseams once more using a ¼" seam allowance.  Press the seams towards the back of the pants.

That's it for today.  They almost look like pants.  We are so close to being done.  Woo hoo!  Come back tomorrow to add your waist and finish your pants.


* If you would like to enter the prize drawing, please make sure you submit a picture of your completed lesson one to the Facebook Album by 12:00 noon CT, Monday, October 6th.  Also, if you have any questions the Facebook Group is a great place to ask.

Thanks for sewing with me,
Danielle Storm
www.whimsicalfabric.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

#navbar-iframe{ display:none !important;}